Sunday, April 20, 2008

The Great Misheard

Okay, my favorite misheard lyrics are always when I think a song is saying something really sweet, and then, well, I discover that's not the case. I was lying in bed a few minutes ago looking up lyrics of Liz Phair's cd "Somebody's Miracle" when I found out something that made me laugh out loud.

But first, let me give you a different classic example.

Barenaked Ladies, "Break Your Heart". For years, when it got to the breakdown-screamy part I had always belted out, "And Now I'm In Love With You!" The song is basically about this guy who leads this girl on and she falls for him. She finds out, and they have a big argument. She gives it to him good and breaks it off with him. Now, at this point, I had always assumed that once she left him, he had realized he was in love with her but it was too late and so sad and no one won. But no. It actually says: "And now I'm *over you*, I'll be OK, now that I've got what I want, and that's rid of you - goodbye."

Okay so different story that I laughed about for a while. I was sad, however, that the song isn't quite as downtroddened (in the good way), as it sounds it should be.

Now for Liz Phair. I think I'm going to be doing a whole blog entry on this albim in the future, but for now I'll just say, wow. I love this woman.

Okay, in the song "Got My Own Thing", it's a pretty cheerful beat about this lady and her fella. Now, I was singing part of the chorus, "Oh, boy, I'd love to have beautiful day - you're so bad, watch the silly things you do. Oh boy, I'd love to have beautiful day, I hope you're swinging this way too."

Haha! I realize this is not exactly grammatically correct, but it sounded cute and fun, and I imaged a cute couple eating ice cream in front of a tv in their pjs and laughing.

Not quite. I just discovered the actual lyrics are:

"Oh, boy, I'd love to help, give you enough rope to hang yourself and watch the silly things you do. Oh, boy I'd love to help, give you enough rope to hang yourself - I hope you're swinging this way too."

MUCH DIFFERENT! Ha.

It's so obvious now but----


I don't know why I never knew about this album until very recently. She kinda helped shape my teenage years a bit. She's half of what I am, and half I what I wish I was.

Look up this album ASAP. Love, love, love, love, etc

No comments: