Saturday, June 24, 2006

Woe Is Me: Being Homeless

For those of you who know me, you know that I've been trying to find housing for the past few weeks. My lease is up July 1st and I have yet to find a new place. I mean, what is up with New York real estate? It just keeps going up. One day it's going to be so high that NYC will be filled with two classes: upper and lower. Last year, my roommates and I found a place with really no big problems. Maybe I see it that way now because we didn't have a deadline. Right now, someone is planning on moving into my room in one short week. And where does that leave me? On the streets! Homeless I say!

A few days ago I joked that if we didn't find a place I'd load up a U-haul and move home for a few months, saving money for a move to LA. Now even that is out of the question seeing as the company I work for used to consist of four, and now it is down to three. The guy, we'll call him Joey, left, for practical reasons (!) but I humbly realize that if I were to leave as well, it could very well cause boss man to spontaneously combust! As I try to keep people's insides on the inside, I will not go that route...yet. But being homeless is a daunting threat that looms over my head as I look around me at all my worldly possessions knowing that being homeless might be rather hard with a dog and a truckload of stuff.



This is me when I was homeless for Halloween. The cardboard sign in the bottom right hand corner says, "Need Beer. God Bless You" On the reverse side it read, "Will Work For Beer". I went to a party that night, didn't have to shower after crew, spent zero dollars on my costume, and didn't buy a single beer. Clever and economical.

No comments: