Saturday, September 16, 2006

Outta Mind, Outta Sight

I just remembered why I love Wilco. It was one of those occasions where you are playing your iTunes at random and a song comes on that you haven't heard in a while. Excitement runs through your veins and you immediately narrow the search window to said artist.

That's what I did tonight and for the last hour I've been listening to Wilco. Currently on the air? California Stars. Oh Wilco, how you make me feel so good. The music just makes me smile.

You know what's embarrassing? Knowingly leaving your window open while you change because you're too tired, (read: lazy), to close it, and then walking out the front door and walking to the subway with the cute across-the-street neighbor who has surely seen your goods, or Thompson twins as mine are affectionately known. In the brightness of day, my inhibitions ruturn to the upright position and the tray tables stay secured. Blush rises to my cheeks and I curse my lazy ways. I gotta start closing that window!

Dishes! Must do dishes tomorrow!

Why am I still awake? Because tomorrow is Saturday and I can and will sleep in? Great friend from home is here with her old college friends. She's coming for brunch in the morning-afternoon. I have a feeling that it's going to be more like afternoon. She doesn't exactly rise with the sun. She's more akin to rising as the sun starts to make it's descent. Maybe subconsciously I'm protecting my hunger and hoping that when I wake up, it'll be sometime closer to when she's ready to eat. Because if there's one thing I have to say about brunch that's negative, it's the time frame is so wide on when brunch actually ends, people seem to drag their heels, usually hungover, and my stomach eats itself, or worse, I give in and cook some eggs, thus dulling the initial pleasure of the coveted brunch when it finally does roll around.

Well, I'll leave you with something comical.

Last night, I was talking to my very paranoid and protective mother on the phone. I think she was trying to convince me to move home, (so I can meet a nice man and my house can act as a storage garage for her parent's old furniture), and as always I told her, "We'll see what happens." (Man, I need to post about my huge upcoming decision.) I was in a cab and halfway talking to her and halfway helping this guy navigate through Brooklyn. Here's what she heard. She freaked !

"I just don't know yet. I'm actually starting to---take a left here---get to a point where I can fully support myself, --three blocks up---and to where I feel comfortable here."

"But it's so dangerous!"

"Mom don't be silly---there, you can drop me off behind that dumpster!"

No comments: