Sunday, February 25, 2007

What Not To Do

Full Title: What not to do when your good friend/former co-worker comes over to your apartment on a Saturday night.

You think it's a good idea that while you shower he goes out and gets some wine. That is, until you get out of the shower and realize that he's gotten the wine but your roommate, (ex-roommate) has already moved out, taking all of her belongings, including her wine opener with her. You think it's nice to offer to go out this time to get the wine opener, leaving your password secured laptop on the table.

My laptop is password secured for many reasons. One of which, I routinely take my laptop to work. When I leave the room, I shut it so that whoever wanders in in search of a computer doesn't use my personal computer. Another being, that I have an unheathly addiction to Gilmore Girls internet world, including, but not limited to, message boards, fan videos, and fanfiction. And rather than being mocked mercilessly for my obsession, I password secure my computer so I can be sure to know who is browsing my computer and have a chance to close windows before they do so.

Now as I go out, I don't worry about the fact that I left a window of Gilmore fanfiction up on my computer. And I worry less, what exactly the story is about. That is, until later in the night, he picks up my computer and when I go to type in my password, he assures me that he remembers from our days of working together in which I freely allowed him access to my computer.

Oy vey.

It doesn't occur to me, until he leaves and I open my computer, that such a screen is up and suddenly his comments make sense. I know this guy. There's a computer, he's on it. Surely, as I went out to get the wine opener, he had picked it up, to check his email, and then got interested in what windows were up. Ammo. He's well aware of my unheathly Gilmore addiction. He has his own vices so when he teases me, I tease him right back. But he loves his Ammo. Suddenly, I'm scrolling through the story, only to realize that this is not a fanfiction story I like to admit I read. And his comments start to make sense and I want to sink into the floor.

Yes, never leave windows like that open. And worse, try not to leave messages on answering machines blubbering about how embarrassed you are and how it's not what he thinks....it just makes it worse.

No comments: