Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Sometimes You Just Have To STOP! (hammer time)

This will most likely be brief since my new old fav is coming on right now, (Law and Order - I go through obsessive phases). But today, as I was driving home to grab some lunch, I saw something unbelievably unusual. I can only hope that I can paint this scenario to you with as much detail as I witnessed, allowing you the same appreciation.

Just another example of the fun of living in the city. A favorite story of mine is a few months ago when I literally nearly bumped into a couple having sex on outdoor apartment stairs near mine, as I walked by with my dog within three feet of their, ahem, coupling. They were not bothered. At all.

Okay, so I was driving today when I got stopped at a light. I was just glancing around the somewhat deserted street, (no big businesses, not a whole lot of people), and I spied something that I couldn't tear my eyes away from. This woman. Mid-aged, no visable marks of homelessness, just standing alone on the sidewalk, her bags she had obviously been carrying dropped to her feet, and her arms, bent at the elbow, palms down on either side of her. Her hips were swaying, and she was enjoying the pure bliss of some unheard music. She had dropped her bags on the middle of the sidewalk, and with a huge smile on her face begun to dance. Now my windows were down, and I immediately turned down my radio, which was pretty low to begin with seeing as I was waiting on a phone call, so it wasn't my music she was listening to. And there - there was silence. Or as close to silence as one can get in mid-day Hollywood.

I guess sometimes you just have to stop and hear the music. She seemed to be having a pretty good day.

No comments: