Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Work n' Things

I just recently started a new job - one of many short-term gigs I've had in the past three months - but today I came to the realization that I've learned more about the industry in the past week with this job than the nearly 2 years I've lived here. Or maybe just became conscious of what I've learned.

It's such a small world out here in the industry.

I work in this small little office where it is me and an editor and two producers. They are rented out to us by the team of technicians next door. The editor and I started comparing companies we've worked for, and strikingly enough, they're nearly all the same. But him being in the industry longer, he has better contacts at these companies than I do. Friends. He hangs out with these people that I want to get jobs with again. Reputation follows you everywhere. You can't blow off a job or do a bad job, and not expect it to effect future employment.

Networking is so important that just calling it "important" seems not enough. This guy not only hangs out with these people, he's actually putting together his own show. To which I immediately said, "If you need an editor...".

I'm not sure my point is coming across just yet. I want to say laugh at every joke, say every idea is fantastic, but that seems so fake it's hard for me say. But that's what I would say for the mere fact that you don't know where you're next job is coming from.

Last week I was in the office by myself and became quite good friends with all the technician guys. Being as non-demanding as I could and grateful for every deck they hooked uo for me. This week I learned that these guys get calls all the time for people looking for editors. I told them I'd leave my resume with them and they said, "absolutely". An unlikely source for a job, but here I was gaining new contacts from computer technicians. Who actually, small world-y enough, know they guy who taught me about an important piece of editing hardware via phone when I lived in NY. Yet another connection that I never expected to make.

And lastly, and most importantly, in the nicest way possible, demand respect from your producers! It shows them you are worth it if you think you are worth it. This is lesson I brought with me from my last job where I was working in a cubicle and another editor told me to demand a bay. I didn't because I didn't want to be labeled "high-maintenance", and she ended up asking for me. When you make these requests and they are fulfilled, it tells you that your employer thinks keeping you happy and productive is worth the headache of rearranging an office for you. So I brought that with me to this job, and immediately on the phone, did something I never do, but said, "I'll do this job for x amount of money." Excuse the alegbra, but where x = more than the going rate for the position. By doing this I was telling them that I can get work for that amount, and that I'm worth it. A bit risky but the job in question I was quite over-qualified for. Then when an issue came up where I didn't think I was going to be making that rate, I immediately called my supervisor and said, "Am I actually going to make x with the hours that have become standard for us?" She immediately rectified the situation.

Anyway, it's been such an eye-opening week for me, successfully opening up 3 quite promising job opportunity paths. It's such a small world out here, that I almost feel like every job I apply to, I'm applying with many of my friends. Therefore it becomes all about contacts. Getting your name out there and your reputation too. Being fun to work with is almost as important as knowing the machines. Anyway, I feel like this is a jumbled heap of obviousness, but I had to get it out of my head. It's just interesting when you find yourself knowingly playing into stereotypes - stereotypes that are there for a reason.

Network, network, network!

No comments: