Thursday, July 26, 2007

Well...That Was Stupid

So do you feel as privileged as I to be alive? I guess my feeling of gratefulness is at least explainable, seeing as, for all intents and purposes, I should maybe be dead. Yikes! I did something incredibly stupid yesterday, and immediately afterwards almost burst into tears that I didn't die. Okay, so there were no tears, but I was shocked-and no not physically. Okay-enough with the tease.

A little backstory is necessary, I presume. In one of the edit bays at work there is a leaking AC unit. Everyday, this thing leaks all over the ground. It has become such a nuisance for us that, many times a week, the water on the floor goes unnoticed. We joke that one day, someone is going to get shocked. WELLLLL...to empty out the back of the unit helps decrease the flooding, and since we empty it out like everyday, there is a plastic trashcan with around a foot of water in it sitting beside a bookshelf in the office.

Okay, so here goes: I sit in the chair and start to scoot it up to the desk. There's a little resistance, but I think, in my not thinking rationally, that maybe the wheel is caught on something. So in a split-second, I pull up a little harder and then I hear a splash. I turn around, and much to my horror, a dvd player, that is plugged in, has plummeted into the trashcan of water. The power cord is wrapped around the foot of my chair. In such horror that I have ruined a piece of equipment at work, I immediately, and this is hard to admit, because, I'm not a dumb person, but I immediately reach my hand into the trashcan, and pull the device out, setting it on the ground. I reach into the bucket of water, that holds an ELECTRICAL item, that.is.plugged.in.

Okay, so I'm not sure where my mind was at that moment, but it certainly wasn't thinking of the dangers of doing such a stupid thing. I set it down on the ground, and horror sets in. I touch my arm and pay attention to my body, and check for signs of near-death. I put my head on the desk and take deep breaths only to realize, I didn't die. Which is always a good realization to have. But I certainly could have, and maybe should have, and got so freaked that I couldn't really function for quite a while. My co-workers made me feel a bit better saying that if it had been on, or whatever needed to happen for the water to ignite the electrical portion of the dvd player, would have happened immediately and I would have known before I had a chance to reach in the bucket. A little solace, but with the cord wrapped around my chair, I wonder still my fate.

Anyway, I didn't die. Which is a good thing. I learned a pretty big lesson, and the dvd player, albiet this is the least of the worries, wasn't expensive and is not going to be missed. But man, it's good to be alive. Lesson time: Don't do that people. Think rationally! Don't stick you hand in water that hold an electrical item! Ever! Not a good plan! Not a smart idea!

Okay, well I'm sure as hell glad that turned out okay. Whew. Not much left to say now except, well, that was stupid.

1 comment:

Roger Assaultrey said...

Hi from me and Jenny. Glad you're not dead.