Thursday, April 19, 2007

Perspective

As we get older, our perspective changes. Old is always "older than us" and young, the same. It strikes you when you least expect it, that to many you are "old". To many, you are "young". To be seen as a peer is comfortable. When someone responsible sees you as a peer, it is comforting.

If you walk down the hallway with uniform doors and no focal points other than a door that is slightly ajar, your eyes will be directed in towards the woman working. The woman is a peer. A professional. She won't apologize too much because it is obvious that if you have a problem with her, it is you. She dresses casually, comfortably. Is focused and every so often pushes the glasses up on her nose. You see her as a co-worker.

It's hard adjusting to the professional world. Although I've been in it for a few years now, I've never been without a boss. Without someone who makes me feel like a young person trying to please a higher being. As a student does a teacher. As a worker does a boss. To be without such authority is liberating. It makes me feel like I'm important. That I'm part of something bigger.

I'm a professional, you see. I'm working at my computer in my room, and you see me as a peer. You see me as an equal, and I can feel the respect that comes with such a title. I'm honored and humbled. It's all part of a transition.

The feelings will be stronger with time, and then they'll most likely fade away. But it's your perspective that I use in my own head, you see, so that when I'm walking down that hallway, I can see myself.

No comments: