Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Selling Myself For Money

I'm trying to keep up this posting everyday business. As far as April is concerned, I believe, if I'm not mistaken, I've written an entry a day. This post is going to say it's the 10th, but it's still the 9th people. I'm on West Coast time now Blogger! (I have yet to change my settings I suppose. Blame where blame is due.)

Well, people tend to ask me what I've done all day and give me that empty pause when I respond, "Looked for a job." They stand there waiting, almost in disbelief that one could spend an entire day in search of a job. (Well obviously I take time out to blog a little. But only while I'm waiting on new jobs to be listed, I swear.)

(Big fan of the parentheticals tonight.)

So how do I fill my day? I wake up and check for new job postings. Make coffee and let the dogs out. (Me, I'm the one that let's them out. That's the answer to that age-old question. [Again with the parentheticals!]) I check for new postings. I drink my coffee and peruse my daily sites. I check for new postings. I refill my coffee, because by now it's gotten cold, and surely by the time I do that there's new jobs postings! Do you see my pattern?

And when there is a new posting, I feel like one of those people in movies with the long trench coats selling watches.

"Whadda ya want? You want Avid? I got Avid. Two years. Meridian and Adrenaline! That guy over there got that? Oh wait. You what? Oh you want Final Cut? Funny you should say that, cause I got Final Cut too. (I open the other side of my coat.) Two features as Editor, one as assistant. I do HD. I do DVDs. Dubbing? Fugettabou'it. In my sleep. Easy as pie."

And that's just one of the, ahem, continuing with the metaphor, coats that I wear. There's a whole closet in which I-okay enough with the metaphor. Just, geez! It's like a minefield, this job search thing. Not only do I have to figure out what system they use, I have to check the ad multiple times and see if I have to sell myself as the perfect assistant or the perfect editor, if I need to be a self-starter or work with groups. I have to check and make sure that I'm not sending my "Assistant Avid" resumes to the same company in which I sent my "Editing Final Cut" resume to, as I am changing them ever so-slightly. Not lying, just highlighting which position I want. Still enough to confuse the employer.

Most people know if they are going for Editing jobs or Assistant jobs. I have no clue. I'm applying for both because honestly, I don't know which I'm most qualified for! Are you asleep yet?

I imagine reading about someone else's job search is about as fun as actually doing it. Which is, not fun at all. I have five or six resumes. Ten to fifteen cover letters. All of which I have to tweak for each job. Out of the seventy or so jobs I've applied to or inquired about, I've heard from three. All no's. That's averaging probably, excluding holidays, about ten resumes out a day. That's tweaking or completely writing twenty documents a day. Twenty one if you count my blogs. And I have the let the dogs out!

And you ask what I do all day! Sheesh...

1 comment:

Christie said...

Make sure you take time to do the things that you won't be able to do post-job, in the midst of all the documenting...like napping. Or pretending like you're a tourist. :)