Friday, February 15, 2008

Debate

I want to share how I have spent the last two hours of my evening with you. I have been watching a debate that has equally befuddled, amused, astounded, and justified my own beliefs and concerns. I internally debated with myself whether or not to post this here, for reasons that may or may not be completely obvious to you. The debate linked below is titled "Religion, Politics, and the End of the World".

I urge you to listen to the two opposing views and the thought-provoking views that lie within, if you feel you have the stomach for it. It's equally entertaining and informative and it's one of those things that I just haven't been able to tear myself away from for the past couple of hours, (with interruptions, of course).

For those of who I shall not name, but most likely, you know who you are, I assure you that if you can stomach the first segment, you will find your saving grace in his debater. It's unlikely you will get nothing from this, even if it is a better understanding of the War in Iraq and the ideas that lie within. One of the most intriguing and mind numbing moments of this debate is when Hedges discusses his experience in Iraq and how he believes we have handled things poorly. His own experience of the reactions from the Muslim world on the events of 9/11, and how, in essence, we manged to turn a formable ally into one of our greatest enemies.

I urge you to listen in if you so wish, and to not be scared off by the somewhat harsh introduction to the first of two debaters (the one he gives himself, mind you, after the terribly long 6 minute intro). The larger argument is one that is primarily introduced in part 2.

But for mere reasons of fundamental indiscretions that could serve to, in essence, nullify this debate for you, I warn you it is not for the faint of heart. Especially the first segment. Just warning you - the first segment is very athetistic in nature and I don't want to catch you off guard. It's equally important to not let the obvious difference of fundamental beliefs cheapen the core of the intention of this conversation. It's wonderful that discussions like this are even taking place today, and whether we'd like to admit it or not, both of the guys make astounding arguments about current events, most notably, the war in Iraq.

The argument of the debate itself is basically religion's role in today's conflicts. In one corner, (and I am very hesitant to put any words in any mouths, but this is from what I gathered), an atheist who believes religion is tearing our world apart, in corner number two, a New York Times reporter who has spent years and years studying religion, especially in the Middle East, and believes that the "Terror" problems of today comes from a class of people who are lost and in despair and are gathered up by terror organizations who veil their intentions behind a wall of promises and acceptance. Sparks will fly, (and do).


Religion, Politics, and The End of the World

No comments: